Tuesday, January 5, 2010

As the snow falls lazily, flake after flake, 2010 is ushered in. It is hard to believe, as I look out of my window, that I have made it to this year and that I am not actually living in a super futuristic cloud city with a voice activated vacuum cleaner! 2010 use to seem so far away. It is amazing how time changes your perspective, kind of like snow covering over a familiar landscape. Our Christmas this year was one of the best we have had since Scarlet has been diagnosed. The contrast between this Christmas and the one we had two years ago is like the difference between my lilac bush from January to May.

Two years ago, Christmas was one of the worst days I have ever experienced with Scarlet. She was in a rage almost the entire day. It was too much for her. All of the new things that were assaulting her senses, all of the paper flying everywhere and the excitement in the air, too much for her...like a traveler in a blizzard. Paul and I began to re-adjust our expectations of celebrations such as Christmas and birthdays. They were no joyous occasion for Scarlet. Scarlet would not even look at her presents and would tantrum if asked to take part in gift opening. Whatever Scarlet's qualities, for better or worse, she would never be a material girl!

This Christmas there were no tantrums. Scarlet sat and took in the excitement around her. She acknowledged her gifts and even showed interest in some of them. She was part of our family enjoying a Christmas and this time she was inside a warm house looking at the soft white flakes and admiring them for their beauty. It was such a gift to have her dance excitedly when she saw the presents under the tree at her grandparent's house. It was almost unbelievable that she took in the whole, crazy day and seemed to enjoy it. This is not the same girl that we had even two Christmases ago. Maybe next Christmas we will actually find her playing with a toy!

What a pleasant surprise to be startled by a Christmas celebrated without angst.

I entitled this blog divinely startled because of the way God was always surprising me by His presence in this journey. I was again divinely startled this week. When Scarlet was first diagnosed and we were organizing a fundraising concert to get started with IBI therapy for Scarlet, we printed magnets with her picture on them and the phrase, "please pray for my healing." Many of you have that magnet on your fridge. We have that magnet on our fridge too. This week as I was cooking, Brynn was raiding the fridge and hangin' around the food. As he was re-adjusting some artwork on the fridge, the Scarlet magnet fell down hidden behind his picture. Brynn fished it out and played with it for a while. After a few moments of looking at the magnet, Brynn stated, "She never is going to be cured of autism is she, Mom?" As I was struggling to respond, Brynn finished, "That's ok, I like her just the way she is." He placed the magnet back on the fridge as I readjusted my mascara.
You know, when all this started for us, I thought it would be so great for God to show his power to Brynn by answering his prayers for her healing. I had it in my mind that this kind of display of God's power would be the kind of thing that would build faith and awe in Brynn. Now I see that God has done an equally amazing thing, one that I wasn't expecting. He has helped Brynn find contentment in a difficult circumstance...that is pretty awe inspiring. It is no piece of cake being a brother to an autistic sister. Just tonight he had his hair pulled out as he was hugging her because she was so excited but she couldn't respond appropriately.
Outside the snow is falling. Tonight they are calling for a storm, wind and several centimeters of snow. I am sure that we will experience the same forecast in our lives this year, but as I snuggle under my red down blanket I am reminded that no matter what the forecast, our family has a shelter. "The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run to it and are safe" Proverbs 18:10




1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your blog since your Mom mentioned it on her facebook a while back......just thought I would comment so that you would know I'm reading and I'm praying. Love you! :-)

    ReplyDelete