Monday, November 2, 2009

Something on the horizon

There seem to be so many changes lately that I can hardly keep up with them in my blogging time. There seems to be an awakening in Scarlet lately. I found out today from her therapists that she knows some of her colors; purple, pink, and white. Now aren't those just the colors you would suppose a girl would want to know first! I am not surprised that she knows things like this, just taken back when she reveals it. I have always known that Scarlet is alot more aware and competent than people give her credit for, but to have her show it astounds me... it makes me want to say, "See, I wasn't wrong, she really is in there!"
Last night when I was tucking her into bed, I was giving her our bedtime kiss routine, an eskimo kiss, a butterfly kiss, and a mommy kiss (this is usually just a kiss on the cheek). After I kissed her on the cheek, she looked up at me and pulled her little head up to mine, then she planted a kiss firmly on my mouth! Then she smiled and giggled because I made such a big deal of it. My little girl who was lost to the world, gave me a kiss and knew why she was doing it! I am really looking forward to hearing her say "I love you, Mom" someday, but I think that was a close second.
A few days ago, Scarlet started chanting the words "go, go, go" over and over again. She has been making several different sounds lately. Her babbling is actually starting to sound like parts of words. When she started saying "go" I wondered what we usually paired the word "go" with around our house. Then I realized that it was usually associated with the bathroom. "Let's go to the potty, washroom, etc" is usually repeated twice an hour throughout the course of a day. When I said to her, "Scarlet do you need to go potty", she said "go, go, go, go, ptty" Then she said it again. I took her and she had to go! Other times she has said "go, go, go" and paired it with her washroom sign!
This developement is tantamount! The very thing causing her the most angst lately has been toileting because she wants so much to be trained. If she has an accident she is unconsolable for a while and usually becomes oppositional about the washroom for the rest of the day which just escalates things because it leads to other accidents. If she could have the power of telling us when she needs to go, instead of depending on us to take her every 45 minutes it would change her life. To see these requests for the potty emerging, even if they are irregular is so positive!
On Halloween night, I was offering her some treats that were compliant with her very strict diet. I had some ice cream and a bar made out of nuts and dried fruits. I assumed the ice cream would be her favorite, so I gave her some of that first and then as an afterthought included her "Lara bar". After one bite of her Lara Bar she kept pointing to it every time I tried to feed her some ice cream. She has never done that before!
Tonight at supper, I asked Scarlet if she wanted a drink. She shook her head yes!
I think that I am seeing land on the horizon. I hope as our ship gets closer that it is an inhabitable place full of life!
Every night I pray over Scarlet. I say "God, I know that you have made the heavens and everything in them. I know that nothing is too difficult for you. I know that I am nobody really, but you have made me your child through your spectacular grace. I just want you to know that I know you can do it. I am not going to quit asking because you are the only one I can go to. Just wanted to remind you that quietly and hopefully, I trust you. - Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment